Friday 7 March 2014

Favourite scenes from Romeo and Juliet



The quickest answer: every scene with Tybalt.

Tybalt is the Darth Vader of Romeo and Juliet. He storms into every scene ready to stomp someone. He delights in killing. He fights with a sword. He gets great one-liners. In a word, he’s a badass.

***

ACT I
SCENE I—Verona. A public place.
[Sampson and Gregory of the Capulets have been bragging about how eager they are to fight the Montagues. Abraham and Balthasar of the Montagues enter. Sampson and Gregory taunt and provoke them. Benvolio, a Montague, arrives as they are about to fight.]
SAMPSON         Draw, if you be men. Gregory, remember thy swashing blow.
They fight
BENVOLIO       Part, fools! [Beats down their swords] Put up your swords. You know not what you do.
Enter Tybalt with sword drawn
TYBALT            What, art thou drawn among these heartless hinds?
                        Turn thee Benvolio! Look upon thy death.
BENVOLIO       I do but keep the peace. Put up thy sword,
                        Or manage it to part these men with me.
TYBALT            What, drawn, and talk of peace? I hate the word
                        As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee.
                        Have at thee, coward!     [They fight]

[Later Benvolio explains to the Lord Montague how the fight happened.]
BENVOLIO       Here were the servants of your adversary
                        And yours, close fighting ere I did approach.
                        I drew to part them. In the instant came
                        The fiery Tybalt, with his sword prepar’d;
                        Which, as he breath’d defiance to my ears,
                        He swung about his head and cut the winds,
                        Who, nothing hurt withal, hiss’d him in scorn.
                        While we were interchanging thrusts and blows,
                        Came more and more, and fought on part and part,
                        Till the Prince came, who part either part.

***

            Need I say more? Tybalt has two lines in that scene and they’re both awesome—well worthy to be voiced by James Earl Jones.

***

SCENE V—Capulet’s house.
[The Lord Capulet has thrown a masquerade party for the town—no Montagues invited. Romeo and his friend Mercutio have snuck in, hidden under their masks. Romeo has spotted Juliet.]
ROMEO            Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight!
                        For I ne’er saw true beauty till this night.
TYBALT            This, by his voice, should be a Montague.
                        [To a Page] Fetch me my rapier, boy. What, dares the slave
                        Come hither, cover’d with an antic face,
                        To fleer and scorn at our solemnity?
                        Now, by the stock and honour of my kin,
                        To strike him dead I hold it not a sin.
CAPULET         Why, how now, kinsman? Wherefore storm you so?
TYBALT            Uncle, this Montague, our foe;
                        A villain, that is hither come in spite
                        To scorn at our solemnity this night.
CAPULET         Young Romeo is it?
TYBALT                                                ‘Tis he, that villain Romeo.
CAPULET         Content thee, gentle coz, let him alone. ...
                        It is my will; the which if thou respect,
                        Show a fair presence and put off these frowns,
                        An ill-beseeming semblance for a feast.
TYBALT            It fits when such a villain is a guest.
                        I’ll not endure him.
CAPULET                                             He shall b endur’d. ...
                        Am I the master here? Go to! ...
                        You’ll make a mutiny among my guests! ...
TYBALT            I will withdraw; but this intrusion shall,
                        Now seeming sweet, convert to bitt’rest gall.

***

Here we see the Lord Capulet playing Tarkin to Tybalt’s Vader. “Governor Tarkin, I should have expected to find you holding Vader’s leash!”

Now we reach the crowning moment of awesome and my favourite scene in the play. Romeo has just married Juliet in a secret wedding. She has returned home; he is coming to share his joy with his closest friend, Mercutio.

***

ACT III
SCENE I—A public place.
Enter Mercutio, Benvolio, and Men
BENVOLIO       I pray thee, good Mercutio, let’s retire.
                        The day is hot, the Capulets abroad.
                        And if we meet, we shall not scape a brawl.
                        For now, these hot days, is the mad blood stirring. ...
Enter Tybalt and others
BENVOLIO       By my head, here come the Capulets.
MERCUTIO       By my heel, I care not.
TYBALT            [to his companions] Follow me close, for I will speak to them.
                        Gentlement, good e’en. A word with one of you. ...
Enter Romeo
TYBALT            Well, peace be with you, Sir. Here comes my man. ...
                        Romeo, the love I bear thee can afford
                        No better term than this: thou art a villain.
ROMEO            Tybalt, the reason that I have to love thee
                        Doth much excuse the appertaining rage
                        To such a greeting. Villain am I none.
                        Therefore farewell. I see thou knowest me not.
TYBALT            Boy, this shall not excuse the injuries
                        That thou hast done me; therefore turn and draw.
ROMEO            I do protest: I never injur’d thee,
                        But love thee better than thou canst devise
                        Till thou shalt know the reason of my love;
                        And so good Capulet, which name I tender
                        As dearly as mine own, be satisfied.
MERCUTIO       O calm, dishonourable, vile submission! ... [He draws]
                        Tybalt, you ratcatcher, will you walk? ...
                        Will you pluck your sword out of his pitcher by the ears? Make haste, lest mine be about your ears ere it be out.
TYBALT            I am for you. [He draws] ... [They fight] ...
ROMEO            Hold Tybalt! Good Mercutio!
Tybalt [under Romeo’s arm] thrusts into Mercutio
PETRUCHIO     Away, Tybalt!                             [Exit Tybalt and his followers]
MERCUTIO                               I am hurt.
                        A plague o’ both your houses! I am sped. ...
ROMEO            Courage, man. The hurt cannot be much.
MERCUTIO       No, ‘tis not so deep as a well, nor so wide as a church door; but ‘tis enough, ‘twill serve. Ask for me tomorrow, and you shall find me a grave man. ... Why the devil came you between us? I was hurt under your arm.
ROMEO            I thought all for the best.
MERCUTIO       Help me into some house, Benvolio,
                        Or I shall faint. A plague o’ both your houses!
                        They have made worms’ meat of me. I have it,
                        And soundly too. Your houses!

***

I love this scene. It’s the “I will not fight you” scene from Return of the Jedi. What makes Tybalt, like Vader, really great is he’s not only a badass himself, but he brings out the badass in the other characters. He intends his insult (“thou art a villain”) to provoke a duel, and by the code of honour Romeo ought to have demanded satisfaction. But Romeo has just come from marrying Juliet, Tybalt’s cousin. Therefore Tybalt is now an in-law: he and Romeo are family.

I love the legalism of this scene. A typical modern teacher, presenting the play to a class, would surely use this scene to critique the code of honour that demanded duelling, and make Romeo an enlightened pacifist. But that’s not it at all. Romeo is stung and feels the shame of being insulted; I have no doubt that he meant what he said about “the appertaining rage to such a greeting.” If Tybalt had challenged him yesterday, he would have fought. But Tybalt is his kinsman now, and Romeo will not kill his family; so he tries to withdraw in peace. The crowning touch is that no one else knows about Romeo’s marriage to Juliet, and so none of them understand Romeo’s retreat; Tybalt does not want submission, he wants to fight, so he just pushes on—Mercutio is ashamed of Romeo, thinking perhaps that he is a coward, and steps in to fight Tybalt. The multiple wires of quasi-legal obligation that draw on the different characters make the scene so enjoyable to contemplate.

And in addition to being the “I will not fight you” scene, this is the death scene of Obi-Wan Kenobi. But Mercutio does not go willingly, like Obi-Wan; and unlike Luke, Romeo turns to the dark side...

***

BENVOLIO       O Romeo, Romeo, brave Mercutio’s dead! ...
ROMEO            This day’s black fate on more days doth depend;
                        This but begins the woe others must end.
Enter Tybalt
BENVOLIO       Here comes the furious Tybalt back again.
ROMEO            He gad in triumph, and Mercutio slain?
                        Away to heaven, respective lenity,
                        And fire-ey’d fury be my conduct now!
                        Now, Tybalt, take the “villain” back again
                        That late thou gavest me; for Mercutio’s soul
                        Is but a little way above our heads,
                        Staying for thine to keep him company.
                        Either thou or I, or both, must go with him.
TYBALT            Thou, wretched boy, that didst consort him here;
                        Shalt with him hence.
ROMEO                                                This shall determine that.
They fight. Tybalt falls [and dies]
BENVOLIO       Romeo, away, be gone!
                        The citizens are up, and Tybalt slain.
                        Stand not amaz’d. The Prince will doom thee death
                        If thou art taken. Hence, be gone, away!
ROMEO            O, I am fortune’s fool!

***

Farewell, Tybalt. Thou art a spirit of fire,
Too ardent but to burn thy mortal flesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment